Fort Delaware

Post new topic   Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fort Delaware

Post by weasel666 on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 18:24



Fort Delaware is a harbor defense facility, designed by chief engineer Joseph Gilbert Totten and located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. During the American Civil War, the Union used Fort Delaware as a prison for Confederate prisoners of war, political prisoners, federal convicts, and privateer officers. A three-gun concrete battery, later named Battery Torbert, was built inside the fort in the 1890s and designed by Maj. Charles W. Raymond. By 1900, the fort was part of the three point concept, working closely with Fort Mott in Pennsville, N.J. and Fort DuPont in Delaware City, Del. The fort and the island currently belong to the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) and encompasses a living history museum, located in Fort Delaware State Park.

For more info check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Delaware



avatar
weasel666
Admin

Posts : 948
Join date : 2014-02-23

View user profile http://amazingstories.livreforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum